Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Obligation of Upholding Ties of Kinship.

The Obligation of Upholding Ties of Kinship.

Upholding the ties of kinship is obligatory to the extent that one is able to do it

I have sisters who are married and my mother is married again to someone after the deceased of my father. I work in the army and I want to visit e them but my circumstances do not permit it. I am also married and if I visit them, I would have to stay there for at least three days, during which time I would be worrying about my wife and children.

As such am I severing the ties of kinship, given that I have not been in touch with them for ten months?

In the name of Allāh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful;
All the praise and Thanks is due to Allāh, the Lord of al-`ālameen. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allāh, and that Muhammad, Sallallāhu `alayhi wasallam, is His Messenger


Upholding the ties of kinship is obligatory to the extent that one is able to do it, beginning with the closest and then the next close kinship. There is a great deal of goodness in it and it serves many interests.

Severing the ties of kinship is a major sin, because Allah says: “Would you then, if you were given the authority, do mischief in the land, and sever your ties of kinship? Such are they whom Allah has cursed, so that He has made them deaf and blinded their sight”   [Muhammad, 47:22]

And the Prophet (Sallallāhu `alayhi wasallam) said: “No one who severs the ties of kinship will enter Paradise. [Muslim]

Imam Muslim recorded in his Sahih that when a man asked the Prophet (Sallallāhu `alayhi wasallam), “O Messenger of Allah, whom should I honour?” He said: “Your mother.” He said: “Then whom?” He said: “Your mother.” He said: “Then whom?” He said: “Your mother.” He said: “Then whom?” The fourth time he said: “Your father, then the next closest and the next closest.” [Muslim].

In al-Sahih it is narrated that the Prophet (Sallallāhu `alayhi wasallam) said:

“Whoever would like his provision to be increased and his lifespan to be extended, let him uphold the ties of kinship.”

There are many ahadith on this issue. What you have to do is to uphold the ties of kinship to the extent that you are able to, by visiting them if possible, or by writing or phoning. It is also prescribed for you to uphold kinship ties financially too, if the relative is poor.

Allah says:

“So keep your duty to Allah and fear Him as much as you can” [Al-Taghabun, 64:16]

"Allah burdens not a person beyond his scope” [Al-Baqarah, 2:286]

And the Prophet (Sallallāhu `alayhi wasallam) said: When I command you to do something, do as much of it as you can.”

It is a sahih hadith and it was consensually agreed upon by the fuqaha’.

May Allah help us all to do that which pleases Him.

[Fatawa Ibn Baaz, 9/414]

And Allāh Almighty Knows best.

[Via Islam Q&A]




No comments: