Friday, February 12, 2010

Bayan Baru MP Zahrain Quits PKR


This is is interesting.....I think many more would join him.

Outspoken Bayan Baru MP Zahrain Hashim Quits PKR


PETALING JAYA, Feb 12 (Bernama) -- Outspoken Bayan Baru Member of Parliament Datuk Seri Zahrain Mohd Hashim on Friday announced his resignation from Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR).

He cited disappointment over the leadership of Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng of the DAP as well as PKR's struggle within the opposition Pakatan Rakyat, which also groups the DAP and PAS, as the reason for his quitting the party.

Zahrain, who had spoken out against the leadership of Lim, said he would remain an independent MP who did not support any political party.

"I do not have the intention to join any other party. I will remain an independent. I will stand on my own, as myself," Zahrain, who seemed to be calm, he told a news conference at a hotel here.

Zahrain had recently accused Lim, who is also DAP secretary-general, of being a dictator, chauvinistic and communist-minded, setting off a verbal battle in the media among leaders of PKR, DAP and PAS.

Zahrain claimed the government led by Lim overlooked principles of justice, fundamental human rights and natural justice, and said Lim and his cronies were not only arrogant but could not accept criticism and abused their power and position for their own political interests.

He said he resigned from the party because he did not want to be blamed by history and the future generations for not having done anything to check irregularities and for being part of a group which destroyed the people, religion and nation.

"I did what I could in my capacity to check irregularities at the PKR leadership but my protests and criticism went unheeded. I was marginalised in an attempt to silence me," he said.

It had been reported that Zahrain would be referred to the party's disciplinary board for having criticised Lim's leadership. It was also reported that several other PKR leaders, such as Zulkifli Nordin, Zaid Ibrahim and Tan Tee Beng, would also be hauled up before the board.

Asked whether he had any problem with PKR advisor Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, Zahrain said he still regarded Anwar as a friend but was disappointed that the confidence in championing the party had eroded following doubts about the aims and struggle of the party and Pakatan Rakyat.

Zahrain gave his constituents in Bayan Baru the assurance that he would not betray the people who had elected him as their representative, and advised Malaysians not to place high hopes on the PKR-DAP-PAS pact.

"I don't want the people of Malaysia to have high expectations of Pakatan Rakyat. I have said before that the person who will destroy Pakatan Rakyat is Lim".

"I believe Pakatan Rakyat won't last. I don't want the people to be cheated by the rhetoric of Pakatan Rakyat," he said.

-- BERNAMA

No comments: