PENANG, Sept 9 (Bernama) -- Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak ticked off Umno leaders who scored on rhetoric’s but failed to deliver the goods after holding their positions in the party.
They should walk the talk, Najib, who is also Deputy Umno President, said when officiate the Umno Tanjong division delegates meeting here today.
On the Penang Malays issue, Najib said if the Malays did not want to be categorized as marginalized; the Malay leaders should find a formula to empower the Malay community by reorganizing the existing system.
He said there were two things that could be done to deal with the issue; one was to empower the Deputy Chief Minister's post held by Umno, and Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi had directed Second Finance Minister Tan Sri Nor Mohamed Yaakob to conduct a study on the issue and the problems of the Penang Malays.
He said Penang Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon should also make efforts to hold talks openly with Malay leaders in the state to discuss whatever problems arising.
Najib said the government did not agree with the proposed rotation of the Chief Minister's post to maintain harmony in Barisan Nasional and among the races.
"But I have spoken to Dr Koh that he's the Chief Minister to all races and not be guided by mere rhetorics, but follow up with actions," he said.
He said Umno struggles must be realised and all quarters would like to see developments and changes taking shape.
Sri Kandeh says:
The Penang Malays cannot rely on the Chinese Chief Minister; he won’t do anything for the Malays. UMNO must reorganize effectively in Penang.
Perhaps empowering the Deputy Chief Minister’s post is one thing; but a total, definite policy with agendas by the federal agencies as well as the GLC must be mobolised to reengineer and put forth the empowerment of the Penang Malay community, albeit through short and long term strategy, such as:
1. Appoint the right Malay leaders at all level capable to steer the community.
2. Aggressively transform their mindset and pursue betterment, total quality and excellence.
3. Create various and multi-forms of excellence centers right to the grass root for the Malays.
4. Immediately uplift the education and human capital on all levels.
5. Manage and develop effectively the Islamic affairs and its entire infrastructure to the highest level.
6. Protect and develop the youth to have a strong and excellence qualities.
7. To create technology, economics, and new business opportunities and developping it into strong core centers to uplift wealth and purchasing power of the Malays.
8. Enforce law and order; fight usage and drug trafficking.
Thirdly, Penang must be restructured, you have to save Penang